Monday, February 29, 2016

Planes, Danes, And Automobiles

Last week started out like any other.

No, wait.  No it didn't.  Me dropping Bill off at the bus depot is not a normal Monday.
Let me back up and explain why we were doing this.




Billie Jo is a blog friend of mine.  We had never met in real life, but have communicated for years through our blogs, emails, Christmas cards, etc.  She is, for all intents and purposes, my friend.
When she reached out and asked me to do her a favor, of course it was a no-brainer.

Her daughter Madison would be returning from a trip abroad and landing in JFK airport.  Billie Jo lives many hours away from JFK.  We are significantly closer.  The plan was for me to pick up Madison, take her to our house overnight, and put her on a bus home the next day.

When we realized my Bill would be returning from L.A. the same day Madison was flying in to JFK, he came up with a brilliant plan.  He scheduled his flight to land at Newark airport, I would pick him up, we'd go to dinner at my favorite restaurant, and then go pick up Madison.

And that's what we did.   

After work, I got my coffee and started my drive to Newark to pick him up, and the adventure began.


We went to the Chart House for dinner (calling it our belated Valentine's date).  We sat at a window looking at the New York City skyline.  Sun shining at first, then sunset.  Perfect timing for the best of both views!


We trekked over to JFK after that and were a little early.  I haven't been on a plane in 17 years, but I do have a fascination with planes and airports. I was loving all the happenings there.  We sat in a perfect spot to see planes lift off and people-watched for a bit before Madison's plane landed.

When we finally saw that sweet girl, we were so happy she was there and safe.  We got in the car for our long ride home, trying to balance getting to know her with trying not to tire her out too much.  Coming from Denmark, it was 4 a.m. for her!

Earlier in the week we realized the bus trip to get Madison home was going to take too long.  We decided to make a day of it, drive out to Penn State and meet the rest of the family.  I was a bit giddy  with excitement that I'd actually get to meet my long-time blog friend.

When I tell you that it wasn't like a first-time meeting at all, I mean it.  It was like meeting up with an old friend.  We fell in love with each others kids, the husbands got along fantastically, and it just ended up being a happy afternoon all around.  Their family treated us to a great lunch out and spoiled us rotten with gifts and all!  They were a family that were just easy to be around.


Mom and daughter reunited :)



The time came to say our goodbyes, but it wasn't without making plans to meet up again real soon.



If you know Billie Jo from her blog, she is as sweet as she seems.  Such a kind, beautiful person, as is her husband and kids.

Before heading home, we stopped at Penn State's campus for some photo-ops, ice cream, and the 4 o'clock mass.




A big shout out to Bill.  He did all of the planning and driving.  He surely was tired from being away and getting in late for two nights, yet he did all this - not only without complaint, but with a smile.  He is the BEST.  I hope he knows how happy he makes my heart.

To read Billie Jo's post on the weekend, check it out here. Oh, and one last thing.  This is how thoughtful she is....remember my post about about my love of Gene Rayburn?  Well, she got me this book.


Now, that's a good friend.








9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a winderful weeekend. I am so happy you had a chance to meet Billie Jo and her family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cannot thank you enough!!!!
    That went above and beyond friendship duties!!!!
    But we are so glad we met you...and now know we are friends for life!
    Love you and your family, just like I knew I would!
    What a great day!!!!


    ReplyDelete
  3. What a big sweetheart your husband is! Seriously! How kind of you to help a friend out in need, one you hadn't met IRL. Super happy that y'all had the chance to meet the next day. Isn't it an awesome feeling?! To finally meet in person?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool to meet up in real life - you guys are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved this!! You and your husband are so very sweet! Amazing how close you actually live to eachother! I love how there are these little lights (of Christ) all over the country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I'll meet a blogger friend soon too. What a lovely time you had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathleen! BLEAHHHHH!!! So exciting!!! I LOVE meeting blog friends in real life (well, I've only done it a few times, but LOVED it). You and Bill went the extra mile and look at the grace-filled rewards!

    I have 'met' Billie Jo through her blog, and I'm sure you two were like peas in a pod. I hope you can meet again soon :)
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting that you finally got to meet IRL! I just found your blog (drifted over from Billie Jo's place) I am really enjoying looking around nd reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How Exciting! I can just imagine how happy and anxious you both were. You are both so blessed to have found each other. I love that I am here because of Billie Jo's sweet link to my blog, where you were kind enough to stop in, and now I am reading about you both and your families meeting for the first time! One act of kindness opens up so many hearts! Enjoy your weekend. Thanks again for your kind words

    ReplyDelete