Thursday, April 2, 2015

Pride and Joy

A few weeks ago a kind gentleman came up to our family after church.  He introduced himself and said he was looking for one of 12 volunteers to have their foot washed at the Holy Thursday mass.  He was looking at me as he spoke.

Needless to say, I was crafting my response before he was even done talking.

*I just did this not too long ago.  Surely they want to use someone new.

*When I did it before it was because I was the coordinator of Moms and Tots.  Let me give you Eileen and Emily's name and number since they're the coordinators now.

*Bill will do it!

When I did end up speaking I did say that I had done it not too long ago.  Then Bill threw me under the bus and said it was at least 7 years ago.  Shooting him a "look" I then suggested he do it.  Whereas he came up with his no-fail, always used, perfect excuse:  "I work in New York City and there's a chance I won't get home in time."

The man looked disappointed knowing his search had to continue elsewhere, but before we parted I made the generous offer that I would do it if he was stuck finding enough people.


I'm sure he was thinking, "Gee, thanks.....for nothing."

I wonder what God was thinking?  Wasn't the idea of Jesus washing the feet of the apostles meant to show us humility and service to others?  I was missing the whole point of the very act I was being asked to take part in. 

Maybe I was nervous?  It's hard to be in front of so many people. Our parish has over 3000 families.

Maybe I was embarrassed? It's hard to have your parish priest look at your naked foot.

Maybe I was scared I'd do something wrong? My friend Donna told me of the time she had her foot washed and accidentally wore pantyhose and the priest had to wash her stocking foot!

Maybe I was prideful?  Yes, that pretty much sums it up.

Pride.  Oh, how that sin gets me every time. I seriously think if I could get rid of all of my pride, I'd be the best darn person in the world.

Oops, there I go again.

What's the point of all of this, you ask?

*I needed something to write since I haven't posted in 13 days and I was thinking you all missed hearing from me. (Pride)

*It's Holy Thursday and I since I consider myself a Catholic Blogger I should definitely post today. (Pride)

*I am waiting for the Sears guy to come and fix my microwave and it's more fun to blog than clean and do laundry. (Pride)

*No point whatsoever.

I don't remember going to the Mass of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday when I was young.  It was not until I started dating Bill that I witnessed the washing of the feet for the first time.  At first I thought it was really weird.  As the past 20 years have shown me, it really is a beautiful sight to behold.  The sacrifice, the humility, the love.

I look forward to tonight's mass.  Billy has been asked to bring up the Holy Oils and Tommy will dress in his altar server cassock. (Me telling you this: Pride again...but the good kind).

I also look forward to another chance to quiet my soul, remember, and rid me of myself and belong to Him* during this Easter Triduum.  I pray that my heart and yours will be united with Jesus these next few days so we may have the fullness of Joy in His Resurrection.

Wishing you all a blessed and happy Easter!




*lyric taken from the song "Lead Me To The Cross" by Chris and Conrad.  Video with lyrics can be found by clicking here.






4 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful Easter!

    I am the same. I am superduper shy so being up front would freak me out....don't look at meeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We three would make a great team!
    I second what Christine said!
    But you are far from prideful, my friend...
    Happy and Blessed a Easter to your beautiful family. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathleen! I'm just stopping by to wish you a Happy Easter. May God bless you and yours with his abundant grace in this holy season.
    Blessings!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter to you and your loved ones! :)

    ReplyDelete