Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Inductions, Sacraments, and Birthdays, Oh My

Another snow day, another blog post.

I gotta be honest.  Last week started out really tough.  On Monday I was dreading the week ahead.  There was so much on the calendar and Bill was away for a few days and I just felt completely overwhelmed.  It's funny, when you have a baby in the house, your schedule takes an ugly not-able-to-get-much-accomplished- kind of tone to it.  And I don't mean funny-ha-ha.
But when Tuesday came and I'm sitting at work (actually, standing because my job is lunch and recess duty, so I don't sit) I had this A-HA moment. 

Everything I had going on was GOOD stuff. What was I freaking out about?  Wait until you see what the week was like below.  I have to say though, the change I had from one day to the next can't just be about having an attitude adjustment. It can't be that simple. It must have a lot to do with hormones, amiright?  And that's all I have to say about that because my brothers read this blog and they might get weird-ed out about this revelation I had. 

So, let's continue on to the greatness of the week.

Tuesday: Ann's induction into the National Junior Honor Society.

Ann came home last month with a letter saying she was being considered for the NJHS.  She needed to fill out multiple forms about her service, character, leadership, and citizenship accomplishments.  It was pretty straightforward.  She debated about whether or not she wanted to actually be a part of it.  I think it was her lazy side not really wanting to fill out the forms.  We forced encouraged her to do it because there are certain opportunities in life that you just don't turn down.  She handed it in and found out soon after she had been accepted.

The ceremony and reception was really nice.
I could tell she was proud of herself. One more notch on the confidence scale for her.  Bill was away unfortunately, and Mary had too much homework, but I forced encouraged the rest of the kids to go.





Thursday: Tommy's Confirmation!

He is now fully initiated!
Funny story.  I had not ordered a red robe for him to wear because I figured he would just use Billy's old one.  I hung it up the weekend prior to help get the wrinkles out.  The day before Confirmation Mary says, "You know that the size for that robe says 5'3-5'5", right?" (Tommy is about 5'10") I hadn't realized that but I figured it would be fine, maybe just a tad bit short.  So I nonchalantly ask Tommy to go try it on.  Oh my word....the sleeves were up to his elbows and the hem was near his knees!!  I scrambled to text everyone I knew who had sons that might be able to lend me one of theirs. In the end, a friend had one to give me and she dropped it off in the nic of time!  You might say the Holy Spirit was looking out for us!



Thomas Andrew Peter
 Billy was his sponsor and did a great job.




Tommy asked for a low-key celebration....pizza and xbox.  We added cake so it would feel like a celebration.

Friday:  Ann's 13th birthday!

My little girl is now a teenager.  We did morning doughnuts before school.  After school she and Tommy had to go to their Jazz Band competition. Bill and I were able to head over to watch them perform. 
Ann holding one of their awards
Tommy-Trumpet
(a special shout-out to my friend Heather who manages to get great pics of my kids and sends them to me!)

We didn't get home until 11pm that night but we managed to squeeze in some ice cream cake to celebrate Ann before bed.



The next day, Ann had some friends over to watch a movie and have pizza and cake. I neglected to take pictures.  But Ann had gotten a Polaroid camera as a gift (so cool, so retro) so we took a picture for each kid to take home.  This was a picture of the one Ann kept for herself.  (she really was happy, just a bad pic of
her 😏)



The rest of the weekend was spent doing social stuff with our parish retreat family.  Lots of baking, gatherings, and masses but definitely one of my favorite weekends of the year.  Bill and I went on our parish retreat 10 years ago and it was life-changing.  We have the best parish ever!

I'm so glad to have another snow day to sit back and document the good week we had. 

Signing off to spend it with my 7 favorite peeps. 

Happy Snow Day!





4 comments:

  1. You did have a pretty exciting week! Love seeing pictures of your family.
    Do you do yard duty? I do yard duty three days a week. It's fun being able to see Juliana at school and the extra spending money is fun as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, What a great week. Tommy, Congratulations. You are now a soldier of Christ. Love the name Peter too as your confirmation name. What a wonderful saint. I think of him being picked by Christ to lead His church. Though the Apostle John was said to be Jesus' best friend, Peter was the man for the job to lead, strong and inspirational. Way to go. Ann, congrats on the NJHS. That is awesome. I am proud of you. And as far as these great musicians, hoping one day we will get our own private concert as the Sweeney's jam with Uncle Jim and Uncle John during one of our holiday get togethers. Love to all, Brother Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of BIG stuff! I haven't been reading anything other then novels lately (I'm on a roll) so catching up has been fun. So many great things here :) Congrats to such a big accomplishment for Ann, and special congrats to Thomas Andrew's Confirmation! St. Thomas and Andrew, pray for us! Happy birthday blessings to Ann. It goes so fast, doesn't it?? You are doing such an awesome job juggling it all. Having a little one around certainly changes things up. Keep on, keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started a blog and I found yours while searching for Christian blogs.

    Your blog is lovely.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete