Sunday, September 2, 2012

A New Beginning?

The start of the school year is a lot like New Year's Day, isn't it?

Don't you find that when your children go back to school you set yourself on a mission to make this "the" year that you will become more organized?  Perhaps you will mentally arrange in your head a new schedule for yourself to fit in some exercise, or time to volunteer, or simply stay on top of that laundry pile.

I had all these thoughts last Monday on the first day of school.  However, the week consisted of unpacking from vacation, laundry galore, school supply shopping, and endless paperwork to fill out for the schools.  Then, when the kids came home from school I spent a lot of time being a referee.  Literally.  Everything was a problem. There was a lot of:

"I don't want to sit next to a girl."
"Why does she get two?"
"It's the boys turn to go first."
"He always gets what he wants."
"Do I have to eat this?"
"I'm still hungry."
"I need a cell phone."
"Why does Billy get his own room?"

This list could go on and on. 

I must be doing something wrong. 

Or maybe I'm not.  I have no idea. 

Little kids, little problems.  Big kids, big problems.  I think I'm somewhere in between.

I do know this.  I need to get out of my head that there will ever be any kind of new schedule design that goes exactly according my plan.

Matthew will start preschool next week.  Here's a list of everything I'm going to accomplish while he's there.

Repaint the upstairs hallway.
Renovate (on a budget and on my own) the powder room.
Run.
Volunteer.
Mulch.
Clean out garage and have a yard sale.
Take a class.
Paint and redecorate the basement.

Funny, right?  Who am I kidding?  All I really want to do is go to Panera and have breakfast and read a good book for two hours.

I guess it's all about discipline and flexibility.  But at the rate I'm going, I'm not sure how I'm going to fit two more things in the schedule.



3 comments:

  1. Where on your list is go and have breakfast with a friend? Take it from me, if you get 1/4 of that list done, it will be a stellar year. And most of all, remember that you don't have to prove anything to anybody.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Beth!! But I can't wait to see the renovated powder room! That is pretty ambitious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep..I know what you are saying! I thought when they were in school I would have all of this extra time to get all kinds of things done...turns out not much more time, but there is that beautiful wonderful amazing SILENCE...and that is the best!!! Enjoy...and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete