Sunday, April 17, 2016

A-Z Challenge: Why I Love Being Catholic (N)

The challenge is on.  Write a post each day in April (minus Sundays) using the letters of the alphabet as your guide. 

The theme I have chosen is "Why I Love Being Catholic".    


Let's continue...
.




N-Novena

Definition:  Nine days of private or public devotion for special intentions and petitions.  The praying of the novena draws its origin from the practice of the disciples who prayed in the upper room for the nine days between the Ascension of the Lord and the arrival of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

Bible:  Before the Ascension .....Acts 1:4 ...he told them not to leave Jerusalem: "Wait, rather, for the fulfillment of my Father's promise of which you have heard me speak."


The persistence of Christ's followers and His mother to wait for the promise ended in fulfillment. On the Feast of Pentecost, tongues of fire appeared on each of their heads declaring the coming of the Holy Spirit. Whenever we undertake a novena of prayer, we are declaring that same supreme desire to wait for the promise, persevering with confidence until the end.(Catholic.org)

Personal: I've started many novenas.  I'm not sure I've ever finished one.

This A-Z Challenge is challenging in more ways than one.



For more A-Z Challenge: Why I Love Being Catholic, click Here.

3 comments:

  1. The Little Flower Novena is my favorite.
    You pray for certain days and then as a sign your petition is heard, you receive a rose.
    One time in college, I prayed for a safe trip home as it was a bad winter.
    When I got safely home, Steve was waiting for me.
    With a single rose. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Christmas novena is my favorite! I was introduced to it that past Christmas (it begins on the first day of Advent and runs through Christmas). It's a little bit longer, obviously, but very easy. The prayer is short and I copy and hung it around my house. The blessings were bountiful; the kind that you see afterward, very subtle. God is good, all the time!

    ReplyDelete