Thursday, April 21, 2016

A-Z Challenge: Why I Love Being Catholic (R)

The challenge is on.  Write a post each day in April (minus Sundays) using the letters of the alphabet as your guide. 

The theme I have chosen is "Why I Love Being Catholic".    


Let's continue...
.





 R- Rosary

Definition: The rosary is a scripture-based prayer comprised of the Apostles Creed, the Our Father, the Hail Mary, the Glory Be, and the Hail Holy Queen.

Reciting the rosary consists of 20 mysteries which center on the events of Christ's life. There are four sets of Mysteries: Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious and––added by Pope John Paul II in 2002––the Luminous.

The repetition in the Rosary is meant to lead one into restful and contemplative prayer related to each Mystery. The gentle repetition of the words helps us to enter into the silence of our hearts, where Christ's spirit dwells. (usccb.org)

Bible:  Matthew 6: 9-13  The Our Father Prayer
            Luke 1:28 Rejoice, O highly favored daughter! The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women."


 Personal:  Reciting the rosary feels like protection---In one sense it's like wearing armor and, at the same time, it's like having the security of a mother's embrace.  Does that make any sense?

About 15 years ago a few women from my parish led a rosary group.  I was a shy, new mom and hadn't been accustomed to saying the rosary much, let alone with a group of people.  These women, now my close friends, are the reason I love my Catholic faith so much today.  I believe our bi-weekly recitation of the rosary is what brought me to this special place.

A few years ago Bill and I were on our parish retreat team and we were asked to give what is called the "Jesus Talk".  It only made sense to us to use the mysteries of the rosary as our guide, since they are about the life of Jesus.  In essence, To Jesus through Mary.

For a beautiful, easy guide to the rosary, click Here.


For more A-Z Challenge: Why I Love Being Catholic, click Here.


2 comments:

  1. Kathleen, you are doing such a great job on these posts. Wow! The time and effort is huge. I really appreciate it since it gives me time to pause and reflect on our amazing faith.

    ReplyDelete